A colorful salad with a two-ingredient “dressing” and concasse tomatoes that look like they came diced in a can. Enjoy.
Green Beans, Trimmed And Washed
Stringless Sugar Snap Peas, Washed
Red Grape Tomatoes, Washed
1 Tbsp Capers, Chopped
1 tsp Caper Brine
1 tsp Lemon Juice
For the blanched vegetables:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add the green beans and sugar snap peas. Stir continuously for a few seconds with a slotted spoon or “spider” until the vegetables become brighter in color.
2. Remove the vegetables with whatever you are using to stir them, and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Plunge everything in deep to really let the water get into it, and stir to make sure they are cool enough to handle before you remove them.
3. Dry the vegetables on a paper towel, chop them up, and place them in a bowl.
For the concasse tomatoes:
1. Leave the boiled water in the pot and the ice water in the bowl you were using, and cut an X about an inch into each tomato.
2. Add the tomatoes to the boiled water, and let sit for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally with a slotted spoon or “spider”.
3. Remove the tomatoes with whatever you are using to stir them, and immediately transfer to the bowl of ice water for one minute to stop the cooking. Plunge everything in deep to really let the water get into it, and stir to make sure they are cool enough to handle before you remove them.
4. Dry the tomatoes on a paper towel, and peel the skin off. Squeeze out the seeds, and discard them. Chop up the tomatoes, and add them to the salad.
For the finished salad:
1. Stir in chopped capers, caper brine, and lemon juice, and enjoy.
Yields: 1 serving