A heavenly spin on Sophie’s Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes With Strawberry Coulis with a caramel twist and an extra indulgent sauce: Sophie’s Double Chocolate Ganache. Enjoy.
1/4 Cup Dulce De Leche
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
a pinch Salt
1 Whole Egg
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Semisweet or Dark or Milk Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Whole Milk or Half And Half or Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 Cup Dark Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 Stick Butter or Margarine, Softened
For the original cakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip egg and egg yolk until doubled in volume, and stir in dulce de leche.
3. Sift flour and salt over the dulce de leche mixture, stir it in, and add vanilla.
4. Spoon into tinfoil cupcake liners that have been placed in a cupcake tin, and bake for about 8-10 minutes. The outsides should be firm, and the insides should be molten.
5. Remove from oven, and set aside.
For the double chocolate ganache:
1. In a saucepan, heat whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, butter, and stir in cocoa powder. Once dissolved, pour over the chocolate. Once melted, turn off the heat.
For the finished cakes:
1. Remove liners from muffin cups, and refrigerate cakes and ganache until further use. If not, put one on a plate, warm in the microwave for 10 seconds. Drizzle some of the ganache on top, and enjoy.
Yields: 6-8 cakes