A delicious treat topped with double chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream frosting and Oreos and dyed tie dye with food colorings. Enjoy.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 3/4 Cups, Granulated Sugar, Divided Use
3/4 tsp Salt, Divided Use
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Whole Eggs
1 Cup Whole Milk or Half And Half or Heavy Cream, Divided Use
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Water
3 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp Cream Of Tartar
2 1/4 Sticks Butter or Margarine, Softened, Divided Use
1/2 Cup Semisweet or Dark or Milk Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
1/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 Cup Dark Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Oreo Cookies, Crushed
For the original cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 tsp of salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, beat 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, whole eggs, 1/2 cup of whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
4. Slowly add to flour mixture, and mix until well combined.
5. Divide the batter between bowls. The number of bowls and the number of food colorings you are going to use should be the same. Color each bowl of batter with a different food coloring, pour a little bit of each color of batter into well greased cupcake liners, and swirl them together with a toothpick. Place in cupcake tin, and bang it before putting it in the oven to release the air bubbles.
7. Bake for 15 minutes. Toothpicks inserted into the centers should come out clean when the cupcakes are done.
8. Remove from oven, let cool, and set aside.
For the double chocolate ganache:
1. In a saucepan, heat remaining whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, and 1/4 stick of butter, and stir in cocoa powder. Once dissolved, turn off the heat, and pour over chocolate. Stir to melt, and let cool.
For the double chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream frosting:
1. Set up a double boiler to kill the salmonella in the meringue. On the bottom, place a saucepan filled with water over the stove. On the top, place the bowl of an electric mixer filled with egg whites, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, remaining salt, and cream of tartar.
2. Cook slowly, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves, and it reaches a temperature of 160 degrees F.
3. Transfer the bowl with the cooked meringue to the mixer, and whip it until stiff peaks form.
4. In the same bowl with the mixer, cream together Swiss meringue and remaining butter cut into cubes, adding one cube at a time, on medium-low speed until everything is incorporated, and the frosting is light and fluffy. Slowly pour in double chocolate ganache one spoonful at a time, and let the mixer go until everything is thoroughly combined.
For the simple syrup:
1. In a saucepan, dissolve remaining granulated sugar in water, and bring to a boil. Bring the simple syrup to a simmer, and set aside.
For the finished cupcakes:
1. Brush the simple syrup on them.
2. Use a rubber spatula to scoop the double chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream frosting into a pastry bag fitted with any tip you would like.
3. Twist the bag, and gently squeeze the bag to pipe some of the frosting on each. Sprinkle on crushed Oreo cookies, and enjoy.
Yields: about a dozen cupcakes