A beautiful appetizer, perfect for a quiet night at home. Enjoy.
Sweet Peppers, Washed And Seeded
1 Shallot, Peeled And Thinly Sliced
1 Leek, Washed, Trimmed, And Thinly Sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Minced
1/4 can Refried Beans
a few spoonfuls Crushed Tomatoes With The Juice
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Lime Juice
Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated
Fresh Cilantro Leaves, Washed And Chopped
For the lime rice:
1. Cook rice according to package directions, and stir in lime juice. Drain, and set aside.
For the tomato refried beans:
1. In a saucepan, heat up refried beans, and stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
For the caramelized shallot, leek, and garlic:
1. Oil a pan, and add garlic. Sauté until slightly browned, add shallot and leek, and let soften and caramelize, stirring occasionally. When everything is cooked properly, turn off the heat, and set aside.
For the finished stuffed peppers:
1. Assemble your stuffed peppers. Spoon the lime rice, tomato refried beans, and caramelized onion and garlic into the peppers, and sprinkle on breadcrumbs and grated sharp cheddar cheese.
2. Place in the toaster a few at a time to melt it.
3. Remove from toaster, fire up the kitchen torch on them, and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Let cool, and enjoy.
Yields: at least 3 mini stuffed peppers with torched cheesy breadcrumb topping