Delicious pancakes with Sophie’s Mixed Berry Compote, warm spices, and a secret ingredient that you don’t taste at all: zucchini. Enjoy.
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup, plus 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 Stick, plus more Butter or Margarine, Melted
1 Whole Egg
1 Cup, plus 2 Tbsp Whole Milk or Half And Half or Heavy Cream
1 1/2 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
1 Tbsp Honey
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Zucchini, Washed And Grated
2/3 Cup Strawberries, Washed And Hulled
2/3 Cup Raspberries, Washed
2/3 Cup Blueberries, Washed
1 tsp Lemon Juice
For the mixed berry compote:
1. In a small saucepan, combine strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, 2 Tbsp of granulated sugar, and lemon juice, and stir occasionally, making sure the sugar has dissolved and the fruit has broken down a lot but is still chunky.
2. Turn off the heat, let cool, and set aside. The compote should be nice and thick.
For the original pancakes:
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, remaining granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, whole milk, vinegar, honey, molasses, and vanilla, beat into dry mixture, and gently stir in 1/4 stick of melted butter.
3. Squeeze moisture out of grated zucchini, and fold it into the batter. Pour some of the pancake batter into a buttered pan. Cook until the bottom side is golden brown, and flip to cook the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter, and let cool.
For the finished pancakes:
1. Remove from pan, and drizzle the compote on top of the pancakes. Serve with your favorite syrup and or whipped cream if desired, and enjoy.
Yields: about 15 servings