A decadent pie that highlights my favorite fruit and is perfect for the holidays. Enjoy.
1 9″ Pie Crust
6 Apples, Washed, Peeled, Cored, And Sliced
1 Stick Cold Butter or Margarine, Divided Use
1/2 Cup Packed Dark Brown Sugar, Divided Use
2 2/3 Tbsp Honey, Divided Use
2 1/4 Cups Heavy Cream, Divided Use
1/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract, Divided Use
1/2 tsp, plus a pinch Salt, Divided Use
1/2 Cup, plus 3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Apple Pie Spice, to taste
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
Ground Cinnamon, to taste
Ground Nutmeg, to taste
For the original pie:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine apples, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of honey, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, lemon juice, and apple pie spice, toss to coat, and let sit for a few minutes to macerate.
3. In a small bowl, combine 3/4 stick of butter cut into cubes, flour, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg with a pastry cutter until course crumbs form.
4. Place sweet apple slices into the pie crust, and sprinkle on streusel.
5. Bake for 50 minutes. The filling should be golden brown.
For the caramel:
1. In a saucepan, melt remaining butter, add remaining honey, and cook remaining brown sugar on medium-low heat for five minutes.
2. Slowly stir in 1/4 cup of heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and remaining salt, add remaining vanilla, and whisk until it thickens further.
3. Turn off the heat, and let cool.
For the sweetened whipped cream:
1. With an electric mixer on high, whip remaining heavy cream and remaining granulated sugar until stiff peaks form, and set aside.
For the finished pie:
1. Remove from oven, and let cool. Fire up the kitchen torch on it, and drizzle on caramel. Top with sweetened whipped cream, cut, and enjoy.
Yields: 1 caramel apple pie with sweetened whipped cream