A delicious dessert that’s a spin on Ree Drummond’s chocolate devils that’s great to eat with friends on Halloween. Enjoy.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/3 Cups, plus 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
a pinch Ground Nutmeg
Pumpkin Pie Spice, to taste
1 can Pumpkin Purée
4 Sticks Butter or Margarine, Softened, Divided Use
2 Whole Eggs
1/2 Cup Whole Milk or Half And Half or Heavy Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Water
1 Cup Confectioners’ Sugar
1 container Marshmallow Fluff
1/2 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Crushed (optional)
Oreo Cookies, Crushed
Nuts Of Your Choice, Crushed (optional)
Graham Crackers, Crushed
Chocolate Granola, Crushed
For the pumpkin sheet cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1 1/3 cups of granulated sugar, salt, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice, and stir in pumpkin purée.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 sticks of butter, eggs, whole milk, and vanilla extract, and stir it into the cake batter.
4. Pour the cake onto a well greased baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bang it before putting it in the oven to release the air bubbles.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when the cake is done.
6. Remove from oven, and let cool.
For the marshmallow-candy American buttercream frosting:
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together 1 stick of butter and Confectioners’ sugar in a bowl on low speed until everything is thoroughly combined.
2. In a saucepan, melt remaining butter, and stir in marshmallow fluff.
3. Slowly pour it into the bowl with the frosting base one spoonful at a time along with chocolate chips, crushed Reese’s peanut butter cups (if using), crushed M&Ms, crushed Oreo cookies, crushed nuts (if using), crushed graham crackers, and crushed chocolate granola, and let the mixer go until everything is incorporated.
For the simple syrup:
1. In a saucepan, dissolve remaining granulated sugar in water, and bring to a boil. Bring the simple syrup to a simmer, and set aside.
For the finished sandwiches:
1. Cut different shapes out of the cake, and brush the simple syrup on half of them. Spoon marshmallow-candy American buttercream frosting onto the ones with simple syrup, top the ones that have it on them with their matching cake shapes, and enjoy.
Yields: about 10 Halloween spiced pumpkin sheet cake whoopie pies with marshmallow-candy American buttercream frosting filling