A spin on my cornmeal pancakes in muffin form with strawberry coulis buried inside and a decadent vanilla-honey butter for serving. Enjoy.
3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar, Divided Use
1/2 tsp Salt, Divided Use
2 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
Ground Cinnamon, to taste
Ground Nutmeg, to taste
1 1/4 Sticks Butter or Margarine, Softened, Divided Use
1 Whole Egg
1 1/8 Cups Whole Milk or Half And Half or Heavy Cream
1 1/2 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
3 Tbsp Honey, Divided Use
3 Tbsp Vanilla Extract, Divided Use
2 Cups Strawberries, Washed, Hulled, And Diced
1 tsp Lemon Juice
For the original muffins:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt, baking powder, cornmeal, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, whole milk, vinegar, 1 Tbsp of honey, molasses, and 1/2 tsp of vanilla, and beat into the dry mixture.
4. Melt 1 stick of butter in a pan over the stove, and gently stir into batter.
5. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, remaining granulated sugar, and lemon juice, toss to coat, and let sit for a few minutes to macerate.
6. Fold sweet strawberries into the batter, grease muffin cups inside muffin pan with olive oil cooking spray, and divide the batter between the cups as equally and accurately as possible, stopping when the batter is almost to the top of the cup.
7. Bake until golden brown.
8. Remove from oven, and set aside.
For the vanilla-honey butter:
1. In pan, melt remaining butter, stir in remaining granulated sugar, remaining salt, remaining honey, remaining vanilla, and remaining salt, and pour into ramekin.
2. If not touched, it will often harden and solidify, so put it in the microwave for 10 seconds every time it does (if you do not want to keep microwaving it, you can still melt the butter in the pan, but you can mix the other ingredients in the ramekin instead of in the pan with the melted butter, or you can just spread it on when it hardens and solidifies).
For the finished muffins:
1. Serve vanilla-honey butter with warm muffins, and enjoy.
Yields: a dozen muffins