A delicious and healthy side that combines my favorite vegetable with my latest condiment craving. Enjoy.
1 Tbsp Butter or Margarine, Softened
1 package Fresh Natural Gourmet Stuffer Mushrooms, Washed, Stems Removed
Fresh Basil Leaves, Washed
Baby Spinach, Washed (optional)
1/2 Shallot, Peeled And Thinly Sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Smashed
Parmesan Cheese, Grated
White Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the pesto:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Oil a baking sheet, spread sesame seeds on it, and toast for about 4 minutes.
3. Remove from oven, and set aside.
4. In a food processor, grind together fresh basil leaves, baby spinach (if using), toasted sesame seeds, thinly sliced shallot, smashed garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, white balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper, and with the machine running, slowly stream in olive oil until it becomes a smooth sauce.
For the mushrooms:
1. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, and cook the mushroom caps all the way through on both sides.
2. Spoon the pesto inside the caps, and enjoy.
Yields: 8 basil pesto stuffed mushrooms