A decadent chocolate dessert topped with a delicious strawberry coulis. Enjoy.
1/4 Cup Semisweet or Dark or Milk Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
a pinch Salt
2 Tbsp Dark Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 Stick Butter or Margarine, Softened
1/4 Cup Whole Milk or Half And Half or Heavy Cream
1 Whole Egg
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Strawberries, Washed And Hulled
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Lemon Juice
For the original cakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Set up a double boiler to melt the semisweet chocolate and butter. On the bottom, place a pot filled with water over the stove. On the top, place a small bowl filled with the semisweet chocolate and butter. If you want to instead, you can nuke the chocolate and butter in the microwave for 45 seconds. Once melted, stir in whole milk.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg and egg yolk. Pour some of the hot melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture to temper it, and add the chocolate-egg mixture to the rest of the hot chocolate mixture so that the eggs do not scramble, stirring the mixture until everything is incorporated.
4. Sift flour, Confectioners sugar, salt, and cocoa powder over the chocolate mixture, stir it in, and add vanilla.
5. Spoon into tinfoil cupcake liners that have been placed in a cupcake tin, and bake for about 8-10 minutes. The outsides should be firm, and the insides should be molten.
6. Remove from oven, and set aside.
For the strawberry coulis:
1. In a small saucepan, combine strawberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice, and stir occasionally, making sure the sugar has dissolved, and the strawberries have started to soften and melt down.
2. Turn off the heat, and strain the mixture. The coulis should be nice and thick.
3. Let cool, and set aside.
For the finished cakes:
1. Remove liners from muffin cups, and refrigerate cakes and coulis until further use. If not, put one on a plate, warm in the microwave for 10 seconds. Drizzle some of the coulis on top, and enjoy.
Yields: 6-8 cakes