A delicious combination of two classic foods: grilled cheese and pizza. Enjoy.
2 slices Whole Wheat Bread
1 can Crushed Tomatoes With The Juice
1 can Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Granulated Sugar
1/4 Onion, Peeled And Finely Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Minced
1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Thyme
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp, plus 1 leaf Dried Basil
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1 Cup Cheddar Cheddar Cheese, Grated
1/4 Stick Butter or Margarine, Softened, Divided Use
For the sauce:
1. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. When oil becomes hot, add garlic. Sauté until slightly browned, add onion, and let cook. Add chicken broth, and stir.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar, and stir well. Add garlic salt, ground thyme, dried oregano, 1/2 tsp dried basil, and bay leaf, and stir to incorporate. Lower heat, cover, and let the sauce sit for about an hour. If not using immediately, uncover, store in a container, and refrigerate until further use.
For the sandwich:
1. Sprinkle grated sharp cheddar cheese over one slice of bread, and spread sauce on.
2. Top with remaining basil, making sure to break it up, and sprinkle both grated cheeses over it.
3. Lay the other slice of bread on top, and spread 1/8 stick of butter on it.
4. Grill first side of sandwich butter-side down in an oiled pan over medium heat until grated cheeses have started to melt, and spread remaining butter on the top slice. Flip to the other side, and let cook until grated cheeses have melted completely.
5. Turn off heat, and remove sandwich from pan. Let cool, slice in half, and enjoy.
Yields: 1 sandwich