A delicious, popular Filipino dessert similar to a custard with delicious caramel drizzled over the top to give it an American spin, and kick it up a notch. Enjoy.
4 Egg Yolks
3/4 Cup Whole Milk or Half And Half or Heavy Cream, Divided Use
3/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk, Divided Use
1 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract, Divided Use
2 Tbsp Butter or Margarine, Softened
1/4 Cup Packed Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Honey
a pinch Salt
For the original flans:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup of whole milk, 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk, and 1 tsp of vanilla, and stir lightly to prevent bubbles or foam from forming.
3. Pour into tinfoil cupcake liners, and place on a baking sheet filled with hot water.
4. Bake for about an hour, and put the oven on convection. Increase the temperature to 350 degrees F, and bake for a few minutes. If not, steam them over the stove. They should be firm.
5. Remove from oven or stove, and let cool.
For the caramel:
1. In a saucepan, melt butter, add honey, and cook brown sugar on medium-low heat for five minutes.
2. Slowly stir in remaining whole milk, remaining sweetened condensed milk, and salt, add remaining vanilla, and whisk until it thickens further.
3. Turn off the heat, and let cool.
For finished flans:
1. Drizzle caramel on top, and enjoy.
Yields: 6 servings